Friday, December 23, 2011

What I got for Christmas last year

I think it's sad that a lot of Christmases tend to blend into each other, to the point where we forget what we got so-and-so and why and how much he or she liked it and how we wanted X, and why, and how great/awful an idea that was, etc. So anyway, in an attempt to maybe wake up a little bit and be more appreciative of things I got, I'm reviewing a few of the presents I got last year, along with a scale (1-10) of how much I liked the gift at the time, how much I have used it, and how much I like it now.

Here we go!

#1. Poirot DVD.

How much I liked it: 7. I didn't ask for this, but I love movies as a general rule, and I (hardly) ever rule anything (that looks remotely interesting/good) before giving it a chance.

How much I have used it: 2. I watched one episode with my husband. It was interesting, but sort of long, and slow, and heavy. I still think I need to give it another chance, but haven't found the time yet.

How much I like it now: 5. I still like having all the watching material on hand. Movies make great background noise for when I'm writing/researching a paper, especially boring movies!

#2. Bike lock.


How much I liked it: 6. I wanted a bike lock, but I had something a little lighter and smaller in mind. This one took some assembly and occupied a rather large amount of space (and weight) in my backpack.

How much I have used it: 1. I used to ride my bike a lot to the Provo library from my house in Orem, but then I got married in May and moved down to Provo within walking distance of the library. Since it was really too cold to ride my bike until about then, I didn't have a lot of opportunity for using the lock. Also, my husband gave me another one that weighed less and worked just as well. So... yeah. I'm feeling a bit guilty about this one. I need to get back to bike-riding.

How much I like it now: 4. It's a nice present, but I just...don't have much use for it right now.

#3. Swan necklace.

How much I liked it: 10. I love pretty necklaces, and this one just struck me as right in every way - cute, creative, silver, unique, etc.

How much I have used it: 9. I wear a necklace almost every Sunday to church, and this one has been one of my standard favorites this year.

How much I like it now: 10. 

#4. Knitted hat and gloves.



How much I liked it: 9. My sister once knitted me a scarf that I have worn every year since - it is one of my most favorite gifts ever. So I was excited for this present. A lot.

How much I have used it: 2. I did try out the gloves once before realizing that Utah winters can make your fingers really, really cold. Like, way too cold to allow them to be exposed for more than five minutes. As for the hat, it really doesn't stay on very well (i.e. close to my head) and isn't that thick. So yeah... great for indoors. Outdoors... not so much.

How much I like it now: 3. It's still cute. But it's now in the dress-up drawer.

#5. Teddy bear.


How much I liked it: 10. This was a planned present from my sweet boyfriend-at-the-time. I had just been accepted to do an internship with the Church in Salt Lake City from the next January through April, and I would be living in Sandy during the week, away from my family, Matthew, and my warm, familiar bed. So Matthew got me the teddy bear (whom we un-originally christened "Teddy") as a friend and bed companion to keep me from being lonely in Sandy. Cutest thing ever? Yes. Did it work? Yesssss..... well, until Matthew arrived every weekend to pick me up, that is, and I realized just how incredibly home/love-sick I had been all week.


How much I have used it: 8. I loved having Teddy in my room and bed in Sandy. He was a great comfort and a source of fun for Matthew and I. We took him home with us every weekend (even fastening him in a seatbelt in the back like the major dorks we are) and Matthew would sleep with him so that he would smell more like Matthew when I took him back to Sandy with me.

How much I like it now: 9. Just looking at his cute little sweater makes me feel Christmasy. And he's even cuter now that he has two little teddy-bear friends to hang out with (we got them from Matt's sister Crissy after her trip to Europe this summer).

No comments: