Thursday, December 29, 2011

Christmas Vignettes

Borrowing this idea/title from my sister-in-law Kirsti's blog. No copyright infringement intended.

#1. I'm pretty sure this year marks the fewest number of Christmas movies I've ever watched in any year. On Christmas Eve Matthew and I watched "Wait until Dark," and I loved watching him start in surprise at "the jump." (Y'all who have seen it know what I'm talking about.) Things got a little back to normal when we watched "A Child's Christmas in Wales" later on that day with my family. As a special treat on Christmas Day, Matthew and I finished the last episode of "Wives and Daughters." If there are any refined female readers who don't know what this is, I implore them to make haste in repairing this error as soon as possible (translation: See this movie).

#2. I woke up on Christmas morning full of excitement, not because of the day, but because I had just an AWESOME dream about aiding Christian Bale to save the world from an alien attack in an urban city. I'm not sure where this came from, by the way. I've been reading a lot of Neal Shusterman, but still.

#3. We went to Matthew's parents' house for Christmas breakfast (25th) and arrived about an hour too early. The feast was plentiful and delicious, but a tad rushed. In contrast, on the 26th we went about an hour too late for breakfast at my parents' house, and ended up eating another delicious meal too quickly so that we could join the others.

#4. The stake president's address in our Christmas sacrament meeting received quite a lot of attention from the younger kids in the audience; as he enthusiastically said for some reason, "We all want to be on the BYU football team," a child piped up, "I don't!" Then, when he explained how a certain brother had to work for his basketball skill by shooting 500 baskets every weekend, a disbelieving voice yelled incredulously, "500 baskets!!?" I was less merrily inclined when he finished his testimony by announcing that we would be changing the closing hymn, which I as the organist had picked out and prepared three weeks in advance. Still, whatcha gonna do? None of the kids hollered displeasure, so I would have been all alone in my opposition.

#5. Both my family and Matthew's family are obsessed with the Sissel Christmas CD with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. I've definitely heard it playing at least 10 times more often than any other piece of music at their houses. Still, we like it too, and I expect Sissel worship will soon become a regular part of Christmas.

#6. I was mystified by a package to SOEIE from Aimee under the tree. Turns out it was for Katie's dog Zoey.

#7. Due to pure unforgivable laziness, Matthew and I were most uncreative in our labeling of gifts this year. I was actually jealous, if you can imagine, of a present from Matthew's dad to his mom that was affectionately labeled "To Bzz. From Grr." The cuteness! What is wrong with me!?!?

#8. I am not a big fan of board games, but I had fun playing computer Jeopardy!, a quirky game called Wits and Wagers, and Phase 10 with Sarah, Hannah, Daniel, and Matt on Christmas. Especially when Daniel ruined one of Hannah's moves in Phase 10 and Hannah exclaimed, "You Philistine!" Ha ha ha.

No comments: