Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Ten Random Things You Might Not Know About Me

I've always wanted to do something like this. So here goes! (Immediate family members, you obviously are going to be the exception here)

10. I have always hated the taste and smell of whole-wheat bread and even though my mom taught all of us how to make it as kids, I will never, ever make it for my family.


9. I started lifting weights when I was 17 and I have never been as strong as I was then. I used to be able to do really tough workouts for over an hour doing my maximum effort with every exercise.
I'm pretty sure my seven-year-old niece could squat more weight than the girl in this picture.
8. I did not learn how to text message until my husband and I started dating. It was a good motivator.

7. I used to love watching ice skating videos and had an amazingly huge crush on the 2002 Winter Figure Skating Men's Champion, Alexei Yagudin. I'm still slightly embarrassed over it, but hey, I was like 14. Hormones happen.


6. When I was ten, I took karate for three years. I loved the forms but hated sparring. When I was fourteen, I switched to ballet for three years. I loved all of it except for pointe. The odd thing is how similar karate and ballet actually were. Each was its own art form with special moves and steps. Each gave me the opportunity to show off my pretty cool flexibility. Each stopped being fun when I began to realize how much pain I was actually in. Oh, and don't forget the funny-looking costumes.

5. I sucked two of my fingers for a long time, like, until I was ten. It was pretty ridiculous. I paid for my folly later in years of going to the orthodontist and being fitted with such torture devices as the dreaded headgear, the Herbst appliance, and all sorts of metal bands and wires.

An instrument of torture if ever I saw one.
4. People who sing loudly and know the lyrics to a lot of popular songs and are always listening to their iPods drive me crazy; ironically, I am now married to one of those people.

3. I have a hard time keeping names of people I've known for a few months straight, but I memorized over 70 names of stuffed animals owned by me and my siblings and can still recall them all perfectly upon sight even though I haven't seriously played with them in over seven years.

This isn't my collection. Some of these animals look brand new (tags still attached). Plus I never would buy animals wearing clothes or in unnatural colors (the green bears just give me a queasy feeling).
2. I have lost a lot of strange things over the years, some more valuable and sentimental than others. After I lose something and spend a good deal of time searching for it in vain, I always pray to find that thing. In every case but one that I can remember, I have always found the thing within the matter of a day. The one time I didn't find what I prayed to find was when I was attending some kind of event with my family (possibly general conference at Temple Square) and I gave my dad my glasses to hold onto (this was back when I used to wear glasses more often). When I asked him for them, he didn't have them and we never did find them.

1. For five years, I owned a rabbit named Jacques. He deserves his own blog post, really, but here is a summary of what I want to say: I cleaned up his messes several times every day (including the ones he left on himself and the ones he aimed over his litter box at the wall), was (sometimes deeply) scratched and clawed at when I trimmed his nails every few months (despite wrapping him up in a towel beforehand), washed the seven parts of his cage every week (including cleaning the itsy bitsy bits of poop that would get stuck in the hard-to-clean millions of little corners in the waffle-design of the cage's floor), took care of him when he got "head-tilt" (It's just what it sounds like; look it up), chased away cats from our backyard so he could run outdoors, and cleaned out his insides when he got maggots (the #1 most disgusting thing I have ever seen/done in my life; toddler poop doesn't even come close). I loved him like a baby and when he finally died after being pretty sick and losing control of his bowels and leg muscles, I cried for a long time. I will always miss him and please don't expect me to care that much when someone complains about what a hassle it is to walk or brush or clean up after their dog or cat.


1 comment:

Kirsti said...

I'm surprised at how well I did in the "knowing random things about Ruth" department, though I didn't ace this test by any means. (Alexei Yagudin, for instance. I totally missed that bit of extra credit.)

Anyhoo, I thought I'd build on your post with a "5 random things that I do know about you" list. I'm not doing 10 because of time constraints and the desire not to have a comment longer than the post. I probably do actually know 10 things about you, give or take.

5. The first time I met you was the day Joseph graduated. I hadn't planned on meeting him that day ('cause he was busy, you know, graduating), but he showed up at the library with the specific purpose of introducing me to you. I thought you were both very cute and formal about the introduction, too.

4. Every time I see Edward's green eyes, I think of yours. Even though both of his grandmothers have green eyes, yours are the first I think of when I think green eyes. Go figure.

3. You are probably the funniest & most fun long-term email correspondent in existence. I haven't had too many of them, of course, so I'm drawing conclusions from a rather narrow pool, but I'm still 71.34% certain that I'm right.

2. Of every one I've known who's had a rabbit, you're the only one who's actually loved it. When I discovered how much you really cared for Jacques, I was touched.

1. One of the first things that Joseph told me about you specifically (he had this annoying habit of talking about "his sister" without giving names, so I rarely knew who had done what when he talked about his family) was that he had gone to see a play -- Aida, I'm pretty sure -- with you. I knew then that you were one cool cat.