Thursday, February 5, 2009

Rantings of Ruth, Part 1: You can’t have your milkshake and drink it too...

During my Sunday phone call, someone was mentioning that I have been rather uncharacteristically perky in my blog posts of late. Wellll, ladies and gentlemen, I’m telling you that life isn’t all fried frogs and fricassee here in D.C.! And, as "proof in the pudding," here are just a few of the many inexplicable perplexities and injustices of my experience:

Why was it that the only day I wear a pair of pants that is still slightly damp from being washed happens to be the coldest, windiest day of the year?

Why can’t it either be warm and not snow, or be cold and windy and SNOW so I can stay home from work?

Why are almost ALL the traffic “walk” lights along Pennsylvania Avenue set to change AT THE EXACT MOMENT when I arrive to cross?

Why do I feel the obligation to keep washing and fixing my hair when the wind and my hat inevitably undo all my efforts? Also, why am I the only girl here with long hair?

Why do the NICE, CLEAN, HEALTHY stores and restaurants in D.C. have to be so EXPENSIVE?

Why do I have to attend class AND do readings AND do research AND write papers AND work at an internship?

Why do I have to choose between having an actual breakfast and shower in the morning or sleeping for the recommended and sorely needed eight hours a night?

Why does everything here open late and close early? What good is being in Washington D.C. if everything opens after you’re at work and closes before you get out?

Why did my stupid key refuse to work twice in opening the back door from the outside after taking out the garbage, and then work PERFECTLY when Valerie came with me to see what I was talking about?

Why does the Barlow Center wireless network fade in and out at juuust the level of annoyance to keep me from doing anything more substantial than fume and sit and waste time waiting for it to come back?

Why do I ALWAYS remember that one thing that I really needed to get AFTER I get home from shopping?

Ahhhhh. Good, old fashioned whining. I've kind of missed it.

Well, good night! (Though there's little chance of that with this weather, and there's likely to be an icestorm over the weekend, I shouldn't wonder...)

6 comments:

Kirsti said...

Oh! Poor baby! You are truly an inspiration to us all, soldiering on under adversity, weathering even the miserablest weather, and with so little sleep, too! As for the long hair -- we're a dying breed, my friend. A dying, eccentric breed.

Hoosier said...

The bright side of it is, if you catch your death of cold wearing wet pants, you're safe from phone duty ever after. Concentra informed me today that they need a passport or Social Security card from me before they will pay me, as I could be a clever imposter and not the same guy who worked at the other place for the last seven years. The Air Force, on the other hand, merely wants my fingerprints.

Unknown said...

Your latest perspective here reminds me of Eeyore's general attitude. My advice for what it is worth: Braid your hair more often. It will not tangle as easily and you will not have to wash it every day. Keep pen and paper at hand at all times so you can write down your inspirations at all times. When reading draw arrows, write down page numbers, and make outlines. Make up silly songs to remember stuff. AND ABOVE ALL, post pictures on blogs, profiles, etc.! There, the unsolicited but experienced advice of La Hermana Mayor. Now I will always be able to find it on your blog!!

Sarah said...

You forgot to mention that the world is changing. That you feel it in the water (or the snow perhaps?), feel it in the earth (global warming?) and smell it in the air (cheap fast-food). Much that once was (at home) is lost.
p.s ominous don't you think?

H G Miller said...

I like it when you are honest in your blog posts, but I also like it when you are perky. Perky blog posts are better for your morale.
I think you should still wash your hair everyday though, because braids get hairy. uggh! Remember the Mia Shalom days?

Unknown said...

Braided hair gets "hairy?" Are you talking about curliness and frizziness, Banana? And no, I do not remember "the Mia Shalom days" other than that you were gone to Girls Camp for about a week, so please explain.