Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I Feel Loved...

First of all, a big thank you to everyone for the sweet Valentine’s Day card I got in the mail! It made me really happy. And homesick. But the happiness was worth the homesickness :-) I love my family so much. And thank you to Dad for the helpful ear advice. I still have the little ringing right now, but it’s not quite so bad or so annoying as before. Still, I will avoid contact with all Q-tips and keep using the ear wax medicine I got with the little flusher/squirter/plunger/thingammy-the-name-of-which-does-not-readily-spring-to-mind.

Secondly, happy 200th birthday/anniversary to Abraham Lincoln in just one hour! Oh, yeah, and Charles Darwin. There have already been a number of Black History month celebrations at museums, but I’m sure there will be a lot more opening up with the 200th bday of President Lincoln to celebrate. Hooray for special exhibits and free stuff and dead people! Did I mention that I got to walk through the house where Lincoln died last Saturday, across from Ford’s Theater? I’ll post pictures later...Yes, I know I’m lazy. Interestingly enough, all my pictures of the house were fine EXCEPT for the one I took of THE BED. I’ve always been a little superstitious when it comes to objects associated with Lincoln. Perhaps I can try again this weekend to get a good shot (no, not at Lincoln—at the bed).

A group of Barlow Center people are planning to go to New York over the weekend and do a lot of touristy things: Statue of Liberty, Broadway show, Empire State Building, Chinatown (they have one there TOO!!!), Times Square, Ground Zero, yada yada. I was tempted to go on a spending splurge and join the crowd, but I figure I’m spending enough money as it is in D.C., and there is plenty to keep me busy here, so it makes more sense to stay put. If the very nice weather we’ve been having holds out over the weekend, I will definitely be hitting the outdoors this weekend—perhaps the National Zoo? Or Arlington cemetery? Or Georgetown? The District’s the limit, folks!

Work today actually went pretty well. I was busy all day and didn’t have much difficulty with the phone duty, minus a single panicky moment of scrambling to find the number for the Peter Pan Peanut Butter company after one caller insisted that he had dialed the right number even after I told him that—even if this was so—I really couldn’t be of assistance in resolving his peanut butter problems.

On the peanut butter issue: Out of the four times that I’ve done phone duty, I’ve received calls about peanut butter three times, and apparently the calls occur often enough for the receptionist to have looked up the actual number for the Peter Pan Peanut Butter company (it ends 2730, whereas our number ends 2720) and put it in our phone book. The problem is that I can never find the number when I’m flipping through the book looking for it...!!@!#%!&#%&^ So today, I developed this handy remembering aid: Peter Pan = Pe = rhymes with 3. Museum = Mu = rhymes with 2. Hallelujah! Let those Peter Pan PB calls come!

Also today, my Communications supervisor also reserved places for herself and me to attend an interesting convention in two weeks at the Lincoln Theater, which should be fun. It’s on a Tuesday, so I’ll have to find someone to take over my phone duty for the day...[wicked grin]

4 comments:

Hoosier said...

Glad you're feeling better! We had a good day here yesterday. I got the fingerprints made at the Orem PD and mailed. MA got her medical assisting instructor (who is leaving for Africa today) to do the third and final letter of recommendation for the Davis ATC nursing program. Today MA and I travel to Kaysville to turn in the application, which is due on the 14th. Dan did well on his presentation and enjoyed the banquet with MA as his guest. Sarah and Hannah had a quiet study day without fretfulness or squabbles. They are going with the YW to the temple on Saturday to do baptisms. Also we had a quiet beautiful snowfall of about 2 inches in the morning which was easily cleaned up and looked beautiful from inside.

H G Miller said...

Hello there Ruth!
We're celebrating Dad's birthday on Saturday. I checked out some books from the library today. Who know's maybe I'll see my own in there someday?
I hope you have a blast in Washington and that phone duty gets easier.

*peeps*

Unknown said...

Nice way to keep Peter Pan Peanut Butter separate from Museum there. Also good luck finding a replacement for the phones on that Tuesday. (sinister smirk)

Unknown said...

By the way, I think that "the little flusher/squirter/plunger/thingammy-the-name-of-which-does-not-readily-spring-to-mind" is more properly referred to as an ear syringe.