Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Late Not-So-Great Show with Ruth

Sorry I don’t have time for anything other than a brief post tonight, since it’s past midnight and I really do need the sleep before tomorrow. It’s been a very busy week so far at work, which is good because I don’t have to come up with ways to keep myself busy, but bad because I wouldn’t have had any trouble coming up with ways to keep myself busy this week! I have two homework projects to finish before Friday (one is almost done, the other—gulp!—isn’t started), and a lot of regular stuff to do (FHE, Institute, TRY, TRY, TRY to get to Barnes & Noble!), not to mention all the pictures and interesting things that I want to write about on my blog...

Good thing of the week that happened: I lost my scarf on Saturday at the National Portrait Gallery, went back on Monday, and it was there! Hooray! I would really have missed that purple scarf—it’s kept me warm through thick’n’thin here, for sure. What a trooper...sniff. And I was doubly blessed/fortunate/lucky since another intern here, Lauren, had her pink coat stolen while she was out dancing at the Guards in Georgetown. Yipes! Another good reason to keep the coat on while dancing, ladies... (note that the history behind this statement would take too long to explain here)

Bad thing of the week that happened: Today, after washing my hair and scrubbing out my wax-filled ears a bit too vigorously, I’ve been dealing with an odd, annoying buzzing/ringing noise in my left ear. It becomes louder when I talk or sing (fortunately, I haven’t done much of either since I got home), and was pretty much driving me crazy the last two hours at work (made all the worse by the fact that I’m in a back room, with no noises to listen to except the occasional rumbling from the printer, the elevator, and a slamming door...a repertoire which I much preferred over the nonstop buzzing coming from my ear!!@!*#@#$!*#!). After work, I went to the CVS at Watergate and bought some earwax medicine and put it in, but without too much improvement... So tomorrow, if I’m not recovered, I may try to find something else (there was something at CVS advertising a cure for “ringing,” but it promised that it would work over the course of several months! Yikes!). Right now I’ve discovered a good way to keep my mind off the annoying noise: Pandora.com! Hannah was the last one to log in, so I’m listening to her songs right now—good, relaxing stuff :) Thanks, Han!

Well, wish me luck and a good day tomorrow. It will be busy: Scary phone duty (I’m covering for my friend and fellow intern Kristie...the only thing that keeps me going is the thought of not having to do phone duty at ALL next week!), lots of work-work to get done, Institute, and a ton of homework. I’m getting tired...just...thinking...about ZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

4 comments:

Kirsti said...

Poor Ruthskers! I sometimes feel like I have a whining in my ears, too, but then I realize Edward's just feeling hungry. I don't suppose having phone duty will help the problem much. *sigh* Happy sleepin' and good luck grappling the phone!

Hoosier said...

Sorry about the ringing in the ears, but your problem is wax and not old age with a long history of noise exposure (unless you've been going to too many loud concerts!), so do not waste money on pills which will not help, even after months of taking them. I'll e-mail you some more great advice. The main thing right now is to keep your Q-tip out of the ear canal. Here I have finally gotten the health department in Georgia to give the correct dates of my employment there, and I am going to the Orem PD to get my fingerprints made today, so the Hill AFB job looks like it might actually happen. MA faces a deadline this week for one of her nursing school applications and has not been able to get her third letter of recommendation completed yet, but the medical assistant schooling is doing well. Daniel is giving a talk today in his public speaking class on celiac disease with MA to be present as Exhibit A (and gluten-free goodies as Exhibit B). Afterwards they are going to the Phi Kappa Phi banquet which you are missing; I do have your membership card, however, and will send it if you need to prove to anyone how brilliant you are :) Sarah remains attached to her harp and is hoping to get a book of Disney song arrangements for my birthday. She is baby-sitting Brooklyn Fletcher for several hours every Monday and now considers herself a rich woman. Hannah really likes her art classes on Tuesday nights at UVU. Mom usually walks with her and takes stuff to work on until the class finishes, and then they walk back.

H G Miller said...

I've had the ringing before. It's annoying and thank goodness I've never had it since.

*peeps*
The Ultimate Banana

p.s I want to post some pictures soon.
p.p.s hacker! jk, sort of

Unknown said...

Ring out the old and ring in the new ear conditions! We went to DATC and Temple Square (briefly) today. I will have to try out Pandora.com myself someday. Thanks for the endorsement!