Sunday, January 4, 2009

Little Girl in the Big City

I just got back from church at the Washington 2nd ward, and have a lot to write about, but I’m kind of tired and still hoping to maybe walk around town some with Valerie before breaking the Sabbath Day fast (I knew I shouldn’t have eaten that late!) around 9 pm or so. So for now you’ll have to be satisfied with some photos and my commentary.

From last night:

This is my roommate Valerie. Her bed is up against the wall, and has a nice pretty bedspread. She also has TWO pillows – the luxury!

This is our little bathroom. It IS big enough to do squats in. We had to buy the soap on the sink, and it would NOT open until I had yanked it nearly into two pieces.

This is my closet. The furniture all looks very sensible, brown, and church-ish, or like the inside of a typical LDS chapel. You could almost imagine these closets being filled with nursery toys or Relief Society tablecloths.

This is my bed and luggage. Note the large and hefty Trader Joe’s bag by the side. I’m planning to reuse it when I go there again.

This is my one stuffed animal (who is accompanying me; I have many more at home), Derrick, and the broccoli-cheese quiche I bought at Trader Joe’s.

A larger view of my workspace; my closet is to the left and our microwave and fridge are to the right.
From this morning:

This is Valerie and me, waiting for the Metro in a dark long cavern. More on the spookiness of that experience later.

This is really neat! Inside the Metro there was an advertisement for a gallery at the National Museum of Women in the Arts—my museum!

This is our chapel—it’s in a relatively uncrowded, quiet area, and the building seems old and New Englandish. The doors are thin and everything is white with brown trim, except for the green carpet. They held sacrament meeting, a special “Welcome” meeting, and Relief Society all in the same room, the chapel, so I didn’t get to explore the rest of it. Perhaps later.

This is me, sitting in the church foyer. It makes me happy that they still have a Christmas tree.

This is me standing outside the chapel.

Valerie and Brad, another intern, were a bit more creative in their poses.



Back at the Barlow Center.


This is the door to our room. To get in, all we have to do is wave our little “key” in front of the small black box with the red dot on it. Impressive security!

3 comments:

Daniel said...

Cool pictures! How long did it take for them all to load up? It turns out I didn't have to play on Sunday - Katie Bauman played the piano. Just as well since I still can't walk very fast.

H G Miller said...

I like the pictures

Nikki said...

Ruth, I miss you!