Thursday, January 15, 2009

"Have you thought about getting a Safeway card?" "How much is it?" "It's free." "Ok, I'll think about it."

So, y’all are only getting a short post tonight because it’s 11:41 pm here and I am determined to get a good night’s sleep, especially since tomorrow we won’t have class until 9:45 am (my cup of joy overfloweth!). I would have posted earlier, but I was doing homework—we had a rather long reading this time, but I think I did a better job on the writeup. We’ll see! Next week I have to get started on writing some of the actual papers for the classes, which should be...er...fun! Fun fun funny fun!

To be honest, I had not anticipated spending so much time on my internship and so little time on homework here. When I was at BYU, I spent a good 3/4 hours of every day determining what to concentrate on and working on the hundreds of little homework assignments. Here my days are practically set in stone from the time my alarm beeps at 5:30. I wake up (if I’m fortunate; sometimes I hit the button before I have even registered the fact that I am awake); I exercise, shower (although today was more of a “sprinkle”: our water heater wasn’t working for the past 24 hours, which was kind of miserable. Br. Blanchard had to call around to get it fixed, and in the meantime Valerie went to the gym to wash her hair; however, being the rugged frontierswoman I am, I waited ‘er out), eat, go to work, come home, shop, do the “nightly activity of the week,” (Mon: FHE, Tue: Concert, Wed: Institute, Thu: Homework, Fri: Movie, Sat: !??!?!?) write my blog, read scriptures, go to—ZZZZ. Keeping busy with eight-hour work shifts is definitely a good way to make the day go by fast! I do find myself getting a little claustrophobic after being in the same area for eight hours, though... I don’t even get ten-minute breaks between hours like I do with taking classes at BYU! The area where I work in is still kind of shabby and understaffed (and under-everything-else, for that matter), and I’m the only intern with a computer in the open hall. Everyone else on the floor works in an office. My companions for most of the day are the big freight elevator (which people aren’t supposed to use but do anyway...), and the printer, which I’m convinced has the personality of a trickster.

On the upside, Marc, Jason, and a nice lady named Jane all work on my floor, so I get to say “Hi” to them regularly and sometimes chat with them while they’re using the printer or checking their mail or microwaving their lunch (yeah, I forgot to mention that I’m right next to the mailboxes AND the lunchroom on that floor, too. I’m beginning to see why no one wanted this desk before). Today I had a funny story to tell Marc—a random guy called me on my office phone and asked for “Marc,” just like that, without any last name. After recovering from my surprise at being called, I guessed that maybe this phone used to be Marc’s or something, and asked the guy to hold on. But then I decided to ask him what this “Marc’s” last name was, and it turned out to be someone entirely different! I told him I thought he had the wrong number, so then he read the number he had meant to dial and it turned out that he had indeed dialed the wrong number. I was really grateful I hadn’t bothered Marc about answering a call on MY phone for some random Marc! Way to look like a clueless intern here....

This story actually turned out better than my last “I’m-an-intern” experience, which occurred when a lady who had just joined the staff came down to deliver some mail and was asking me where to put packages for people. I knew the answer for one package, and was confident in telling her so, but wasn’t sure about the other, but.... being somewhat carried away in my enthusiasm to be helpful, I gave her advice anyway as to where to put it, rather than look stupid by saying “I don’t know.” (Note: I felt twice as stupid afterwards when I looked it up for myself, discovered I had guessed wrong, and had to stealthily replace the package in the right slot after the lady had left). The next day she came down and told me she didn’t know that I was an intern. I got the mixed impression that she was apologizing for assuming I knew something I didn’t, but that she was also a little perplexed as to why I didn’t just plug my ears and refuse to help her. Needless to say, although the packages did get to the right people, she won’t be asking for my help in mail delivery again... Sigh.

Back on the positive side of things, I mustered up the courage today to smile and say “Good morning” to the receptionist today...AND SHE ACTUALLY SMILED BACK!!! I didn’t have a camera to capture the moment, but you better believe that it was priceless!!!!

Work went well, I went home...Oh, one confession to make: I took the Metro home today because it was supercalifragalistic FREEZING outside. I could endure the still coldness of my morning walk to the museum, but the high winds on the way back were just too much to bear. Plus it was 5:30 and I wanted to get home as fast as I could since I needed to go shopping at Safeway and do my homework. I did get to enjoy a nice brisk 15-20 min. walk to Safeway and back; for some reason, the wind was not nearly as bad on the far NW side of D.C. After my shopping, I got home and finished the rest of my cheesy pasta for dinner, along with grapes, yogurt, and breadlike substances. Tomorrow I think I might try my hand at the Chicken Vegetable soup again...what say ye?

Have a great Friday, everyone! I know I will! Did I mention that I don’t have to go back to work until Wednesday because of Inauguration Day? Suddenly, winter semester in D.C. as opposed to winter semester at BYU just got a whole lot more attractive...

3 comments:

Kirsti said...

Since my opinion was solicited, I think the chicken vegetable soup is a marvelous idea. As for the Safeway card, I think you may as well get it (unless it's a credit card, that is), as they usually provide discounts on food items and other such perks.

Hoosier said...

I agree with Kirstiloo on the Safeway card. The only downside I know of is that the Safeway marketing people monitor your purchases and try to figure out ways to get you to spend more. (Hint: Give them whichever e-mail address you prefer to send your spam to.) My former employer called yesterday and wanted to know if I could work their Sandy clinic ASAP after a certain melancholy event takes place there today; looks like they have their knives out again. I would be paid as an independent contractor, and agreed to it, actually, as my permanent position begins to look more tenuous. I received the draft of the contract yesterday, and discovered to my dismay that the legal language has me borrowing the money from them the first year and then paying it back beginning in the second year. But they magnanimously agree to "forgive" my debt if I agree to do whatever they want over the next THREE years. Acch! I thought they outlawed indentured servitude a long time ago! Anyway, the Hill AFB recruiter e-mailed again and offered a nice fat salary with no loans required starting on March 1st, so I am wondering what the best thing would be. At my age, I hesitate to enter into any agreements which suppose me healthy and able for more than a few months. I still am inclined to take a deep breath and sign the contract, but am prayerfully considering all options. This morning we are off to the Draper Temple for a tour. MA still cannot get the time of day from the trade school people, so we are beginning to wonder where to go with her. She did apply for a CNA position at Golden Living online last night, so maybe that will come through. We are still working on your ponderous box of things to be sent; perhaps if we delay long enough you will not need your blue hoodie?!! Love, Dad

Unknown said...

This is what you consider a "short post" heh? Seems long-winded enough to me :). Way to make the secretary smile!