Thursday, December 2, 2010

Socks for Christmas

For the past ten years, I have had only one pair of very soft, warm socks. This pair came to me during a YW activity in Georgia; we were playing a white elephant Christmas game at Sister Combs' house after going caroling, and I ended up with a pair of red socks with white snowflakes on the soles. I was a little disappointed at the time to end up with socks for Christmas ("A Christmas present should be a book or a toy or something good"), but over the years I came to love and appreciate them for their warmth and Christmasy-ness. 10 years later, they are frayed and worn, but I have continued to wear them because I am too lazy/neglectful/miserly/poor/indecisive to get a new pair. This does not stop me from complaining about the dearth of comfortable socks every year. It's practically a tradition.

However, this year, when I started to get out the red socks and begin my annual lament, darling Matt immediately offered to take me to Macy's and buy me not one, but TWO lovely pairs of perfectly beautiful socks. One is many different shades of red; the other has purple, pink, lavender, violet (and other shades of that variety) stripes. I wear them (well, the red pair - I am saving the other pair for Christmas) every day and at night. I would wear them everywhere except I don't want them to get dirty or torn. In the meantime, my feet are in heaven. Thank GOODNESS my boyfriend not only knows how to shop, but actually likes doing it and does a good job.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Please tell me you're getting married! You guys are stinkin' adorable! And of course Matt likes to shop, he's Andy's brother, haha :)

Kirsti said...

It's kinda funny. Those socks look an awful lot like you & Mattskers. Huh. Maybe you should post pictures of you and your bf, too, so we can compare. :)

H G Miller said...

I wondered where those fuzzy feet came from. If you're ever missing them you know where to look....

p.s who says socks don't make a good Christmas present? heeheeee ;)