Monday, December 13, 2010

November 2010 Media Inventory

I'm a bit late with this post - but never fear, I didn't forget you, November!

Movies:

Hitch: A fun and feel-happy comedy/romance that teaches some pretty . . . interesting things about dating, love, family, and the hotness of Will Smith (see how I told you nothing there by using the word "interesting," Hum 201 students?). Now I've made it sound dirty, which it really isn't. I would recommend it, if you don't mind some general silliness and cliche cuteness.

I Am Legend: Will Smith? Is that you? Didn't I see this movie already this year? (Answer: Yes) Like in July or something? (Answer: August) Why would I see it again so soon? (Answer: Gothic class) Am I done with this movie yet? (Answer: No) Why? (Answer: Because you're writing a paper on it that's due Thursday) Ugh.

Inception: I also already saw this movie this year (or did I?!?), but as my professor said, "you can never talk about [this] movie too much." If you haven't seen it, YOU MUST.

Night of the Living Dead: 3 in a row! I've seen this one before too! It was grosser than I remembered! But I am still writing a paper on it!

Miracle on 34th Street: Finally. Something new. This was the 1994 version, which I'd never seen before, so it technically counts, right? On the plus side, it was sweet and creative and Christmasy and IN COLOR!!!! On the downside, there was no Mr. Sawyer, (insert annoying voice) the book was better....., and the little girl had a couple of violent mood swings that made me want to hit her with a candy cane.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: I saw this with Matt, his brother, his brother's girlfriend, and his sister within 24 hours after it was released. We sat high up in the theater in the middle of a row. It was the first time I had seen the theater fully packed. We even had security guards walking through the halls! I was so excited I couldn't concentrate on the movie! Ok - just kidding. I actually thought the movie was fairly well done. I hadn't read any of the books and I was able to follow along just fine after a 15-20 min. briefing from Matt on the essentials ("WHICH ONE IS HARRY!?!???"). Matt was disappointed. Probably because he thought (insert annoying voice) the book was better.....

How the Grinch Stole Christmas: Another old/new one! The Jim Carrey version that came out so long ago which I still never got around to seeing until now! I enjoyed parts of it, especially cute Jack and the Grinch's phone message machine and the fudge tasting contest, but OVERALL...the book was better.....

Charade: Matt's first time seeing this movie! Fortunately, we both agreed it was wonderfully awfully dreadfully terribly awesome. We especially enjoy quoting the cheesiest parts to each other now (E.g. "Do you know what's wrong with you? . . . Nothing.") ("You should see your face." "What's the matter with it?" "It's lovely." etc).

The Polar Express: It's a tradition to watch this every year now and rip it to shreds. Those poor, miserable, brainwashed-into-believing children.

Stalking Santa: Another holiday favorite. I can't believe it's been five years since I took TMA 101 from Chris Clark. He gave me my first college lecture. Wow. And showed the trailer for this film in his class, as I recall. If you haven't seen it, YOU MUST.

The Shop Around the Corner: I always always always always always ALWAYS fall asleep before this movie ends, and this time was no exception. In fact, I have conned myself into thinking that the movie actually ends at the part where the owner decides to share Christmas dinner with the errand boy, because that's where I start to drift off. Until that point, though, I'm riveted. It's a lovely little film with an excellent plot, characters, and dialogue. I think it would make a fantastic play.

Theater:

The Scarlet Pimpernel (A MUSICAL!!!): My sweet boyfriend bought us tickets to this long, long ago (back in OCTOBER, for crying out loud) and we were not at all in the mood for it. I would give it a 10/10 rating because I enjoyed the evening so much, but I'm afraid my response was rather biased. Very, particularly favorite parts included Chauvelin's singing voice, the "And That is Why the Lord Created Men" song, the very creative way of making characters appear to be bouncing and jostling around in a carriage (ala Jane Austen style) without using horses or having to walk in circles around the stage, and the costumes - sooooo lovely. Less wonderful parts? I thought it a tad long. Also, our seats weren't the best - we never got to see anyone's head get chopped off when they all surrounded the guillotine.

Stage Door: Very fun - yet serious - drama which made me really interested in seeing the movie adaptation . . . someday. I really enjoyed the "black and white movie from the 30s" design as well, not just because it was different and kind of interesting, but because I got to dress like an usher from the 1930s - I had a little cap and jacket and everything! And an old man complimented me. It was just like the '30s, y'all!

Romeo and Juliet: I really enjoyed this. And not just because I was texting my own Romeo all through intermission ;)

South Pacific: Saw this at Mountain View High School with Matt's family. Our seats were terrific and it was lots of fun seeing Matt's little sister Crissy showing off what her momma gave her onstage. The songs/choreography were all well done, and I was impressed with the talents of the cast. I did become somewhat distracted in the second act, but it was more my fault than the play's.

Book:

In Cold Blood: A tragic book, horrifyingly blunt and detailed, but I couldn't put it down either. The story is extremely sad and frightening, but very insightful and thoughtful as well - hardly gratuitous. Don't expect a typical murder mystery or crime novel.

Well, folks, that's it for November. I'm surprised that I've done so little this month (ONE book? What was I DOING on all those bus trips!?!?!?), but promise to try to get in more - including as many Christmas classics as I can - for the next monthly post. I'm very excited about seeing "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" at the theater as well, though I'm fairly certain that the book is better......

1 comment:

Kirsti said...

Oh. No.

Shudders.

He's a BRUIN?!