Monday, August 10, 2009

The Post that was Thursday

For the record, this is the only day in the vacation that I didn’t really take notes on, so sorry if this post, er, turns out to be a lie or something…

Very very early in the morning, Grandma picked up Aunt Susie and took her to the airport to catch her flight. When I woke up eons later, I went running around the neighborhood for 30 min. It was cool and pretty and I saw a lot of dogs and said “Hi” to random nice Southern people. It was great!

After breakfast, I decided I wanted to go bike riding again, and Aunt Shelly and Daniel decided to come too. We rode through the neighborhood again, and made our way safely down Concord and to River Park. I was feeling a bit cocky since I had gone before on my own, and rode down the big hill on Concord without using the brakes hardly at all. It was super fun, but probably unsafe. The bike ride was mostly fun, but there were one or two instances where Daniel acted in the manner of a jerk.

Afterwards, we splashed in the river again and met a nice guy with an even nicer Labrador dog. It made me miss Yeller…

We biked home and ate lunch at the Hughes, and in a little while Aunt Shelly picked me up to go swimming with her at the rec center. I’m pretty sure I was the only person this vacation to go swimming with Daniel, Joseph, Aunt Susie, and Aunt Shelly! We looked in the locker room for Aunt Susie’s watch, which she had lost somewhere during her stay, but didn’t find it.

After swimming and showering, I’m….not….really…..sure what happened. Anyway, I know that I got to show Grandma and Grandpa and the Hughes my NMWA magazines, and signed two copies for them. I kicked myself for forgetting to show Aunt Susie a copy, but at least maybe someone can take her a copy when or if he or she goes to Mary’s wedding in November. Hmmm….did that sentence make sense?

Back to the day. Dinner was lovely as usual. We had strips of steak with peppers and rice, and the usual array of garden vegetables. There was probably some side dish too, but I’ve forgotten it—aaaarghhh! This will haunt me for the rest of my life!!!! Or at least the next five seconds.

For dessert we had Grandma’s delicious “Laura Bush” cookies. I don’t know why they’re called that either.

After dinner, Julie, Aunt Shelly, Becky, and Daniel went to play tennis. Uncle Bill (who had just come home that day from a trip) took Andy to scouts. I wreaked havoc in the empty house. Just kidding. I actually just fiddled for 20 min. with the DVD player trying to make it play “Secondhand Lions,” another movie recommended by Aunt Susie. The phone rang sometime in the night, and it was Mary! She and I chatted for a little bit, and she tried to help me out with the DVD player, but to no end. It was nice hearing her voice anyway. Finally, Andy and Uncle Bill got home and helped me figure out how to watch the movie. It was a great movie—really sweet and interesting and just fun to watch. It’s about a boy who goes to live with his two old, crazy great-uncles, who are rumored to be very rich and (duh) crazy. I still have no clue why it’s called “Secondhand Lions,” but it’s a great movie anyway.

Julie and Becky said “good-bye” to me before I went home, and I was sad that it was my last night and glad that I had had such a wonderful time. And I was mad because...well, actually I wasn't mad. I just like that it rhymes with "glad" and "sad."

1 comment:

Kirsti said...

What?!!?! The title is like the profoundest part of the whole movie (which is admittedly not very profound, "what every boy needs to know to be a man" speech notwithstanding)!!?!