Wednesday, January 11, 2012

What are you going to do with your degree?


Everyone in the humanities at some point will be asked this question, typically by a skeptical, judgmental person who has a career that they are proud of and like to flaunt in the faces of others. Personally, my favorite answer is something one of my professors said, which was essentially to respond with blank, flippant remarks, with either an expression of gloomy despair or happy, ignorant bliss.

For example:

"What are you going to do with your degree?"

"Nothing."

"How are you going to live?"

"I don't know."

"Well, you need to make money."

"No, I don't."

"So you're just going to read books and watch movies?"

"Yes."

"You can't make a living from that."

"Yeah, you can't make a living from a lot of things."

"So what will you do?"

"I don't know."

"You should find out."

"Thanks. You should find out too."

Annoying, perhaps, to everyone who isn't a humanities student, but hilarious and refreshing to those of us who are, I assure you.

No comments: