Monday, September 5, 2011

Grad vs. Ungrad

After being an undergraduate student for five years and a graduate student for five days, I have concluded there are a few differences between being an undergrad and a grad student.

1. As an undergrad, I did most of the reading for most of my classes. As a grad student, I do all the reading - but don't understand half of it.

2. As an undergrad, I thought periodically about adding another class now and then, because, you know, it might be fun and interesting. As a grad student, I wonder if I could get away with just taking one course each semester.

3. As an undergrad, I started to get sleepy around noon. As a grad student, I start to wake up around noon.

4. As an undergrad, I would study vigorously before quizzes in my classes. As a grad student, I study vigorously before class so I can make clever, insightful comments.

5. As an undergrad, I would often bring my lunch to school and stay at campus all day, sometimes into the wee hours of the night. As a grad student, the thought of staying on campus after 5 pm is appalling. And my schedule prevents me from having lunch.

6. As an undergrad, I defined "social life" as going on dates, dancing, spending nights on the town, and attending as many free-food-and-fun fests as feasible. As a grad student, I define "social life" as reading a book I have not been assigned.

7. As an undergrad, I would read the syllabus forward and backward for each class. As a grad student, I only read the reading schedule.

8. As an undergrad, part of my motivation for going to BYU was to meet cute guys. As a grad student, I'm only interested in one cute guy . . . and he goes to UVU.


2 comments:

Daniel said...

Hmm, I read the whole post and I can't find one mention of myself. ;)

It looks from the pic like you guys survived the hot days of summer alright! I'm glad you're getting to learn the ropes, and after only five days, too. Keep up the good work!

Kirsti said...

Idunno, Ruthena: I think this is more a commentary on "unmarried student vs. married student" than on the titular comparison. But maybe that's just me. Happy schooling!