Saturday, July 24, 2010

What a To-Do!

Last Saturday/technically Sunday, I turned... I mean, I had a birthday! I was simultaneously looking forward to and dreading my birthday, as I usually end up crying and wishing that I could remain 8/12/15/19/21 forever. Still, I was very excited about the celebration, and spent all my energy on Friday the 16th getting ready - i.e. eating very little and going on a very long bike ride and swimming trip to get an enormous appetite, praying for my favorite kind of weather (stormy, cloudy, windy, but no rain), reminding my siblings of all the favors they owed me, etc.

With my expectations built up so high, it perhaps was unsurprising to everyone except myself that the day didn't turn out to be the greatest thing since sliced peaches. Sadly, my waking up at 6 a.m. and complimenting of a delicious breakfast did not prevent me from spending an unfortunate amount of the day crying bitterly in my room. Sarah and Hannah took me out to see "Eclipse," which both amused and depressed me, and then the four kids (Daniel, me, Sarah, and Hannah) bonded by going to the Fitness Center together and complaining about our parents in the car.

Fortunately, happy faces were back on by dinnertime, and that's where the pictures start anyway:

Dinner was amaaaaazing. Onion potatoes, baked beans, hot dogs, and orange jell-O. Is it just the "Eclipse"d version of me talking, or was Daniel looking like a vampire that night?


Can you tell where my hair stops and Hannah's begins?


We're totally obsessed with ourselves.


The obligatory "Me with the Presents" picture. Following once again in Daniel's footsteps, I had one large present and various small ones. The cards were fun to read, though I was a bit perplexed when Hannah's wished me a happy 21st birthday, and Dad's congratulated me on reaching my 23rd year... He later insisted that this was still correct in the Spanish tradition of completing years, but that doesn't change the fact that no woman wants to hear any number beyond the traditional one on her birthday.


A somewhat un-flattering picture of the "cake," though I promise you it did taste delicious.

In case you were wondering, here's what was in the big box. As a matter of fact I'm typing on it RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!! So... surreal....

And here's what were in the smaller packages, though there were also some coupons and a draft of that great unfinished work, "The Overthrow of Gidron," from Daniel. I'm enjoying all my presents, though nothing can really top the "Great Birthday Present Extravaganza" of 2009, wherein I received a plethora of some of my most favorite gifts to date, including 4 Fablehaven books and a collection of Columbia Academy Award-winning movies. Which reminds me, Daniel also got me the 5th Fablehaven book some months ago as an early birthday present, so it deserves to be mentioned here as well. In fact, it might even be my #1 favorite present.

Well, except, maybe, for this:

Ok, so brief explanation: On Friday the 16th, I was in the Provo library and stumbled upon a visiting author convention featuring Brandon Mull! It took me several times walking past to recognize him, and then, of course, I HAD to stay and get his autograph, though I had nothing better than an old planner for him to write on. Imagine my surprise when he happily signed for me both my crummy planner and also a free huge magnificent Fablehaven poster! I think I might have swooned.

Note the signature and "Hi Ruth!" RIGHT NEXT TO THE PICTURE OF MY FAVORITE BOOK OF THE SERIES. I'm telling you, it's uncanny how Fablehaven and my birthday have become entwined. Did I also mention that I named my bike (yes indeed, the very one I rode to the library that day) Warren? Which reminds me, I need a name for my new computer. Any ideas?

1 comment:

Kirsti said...

Love the new background, and happy 21st... er, 23rd... er, whateverth birthday! I hope you love The Book Thief, 'cause I think it rocks.

Computer Names:
Gawain
Chester
Peaches
Will
Shakespeare
HRH Elizabeth III
Han Solo (or Yoda)
Socrates
Fluffy

...That about does it for me in the generating-names department, and none of those is even that good. (Unless you choose one, in which case I totally knew that it was an awesome name all along.)

I'm sorry your birthday didn't go as beautifully as you had hoped; at least the pictures turned out well (seriously? you look good in green, and your hair is uber-cute in the presents picture). I'm not with you on the Daniel = vampire thing, but then, I haven't seen Eclipse, so maybe he does a fabulous Dakota Fanning impression. (He'll have to do it for us this Christmas: I can't wait!)