Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Daniel's Birthday, or General Goofiness

Last Saturday we celebrated Daniel's 24th birthday. There was considerable excitement and merriment, as you'd expect with any day that starts out with a colorful birthday breakfast fruit bowl like this one:

But don't interrupt Mama while she's making it, or she'll give you the stink-eye:
Here we have Daniel modeling the customary birthday breakfast photo shoot:

The day went by very quickly. Daniel and I went to see "The Karate Kid" (which I thought good, but unnecessarily long) and we ate Chex for lunch. I did some reading. I can't remember anything else.
Birthday festivities resumed at dinner-time, which was pizza (both homemade AND storebought!), watermelon, and floats. Yummy! Then we had cards and presents, which included coupons from Hannah, a book from Ruth, a bench for his electronic piano from Mama and Dad, and the 3rd season of Andy Griffith! What a lucky birthday boy!
At this point the goofiness started to manifest itself.
The birthday cake (a sweet milky pudding-like concoction known as Tres Leches by our local Mexican gurus, topped by whipped cream and downed with pink lemonade) was quite impressive - this might be the first time we've made that train fit in a single line!
Tres hermanas:
Tipsy no doubt from the lemonade and Mexican cake, I attempted to stage a few more "goofy" shots, which Hannah was having none of:
But I think you have to admit that Sarah took the cake in the end:
Happy Birthday, Daniel! One more year 'til you're a menace to society!

5 comments:

Hoosier said...

My diagnosis of your goofiness would be an overdose of sugar in the tres leches cake.

Daniel said...

I'm glad everyone enjoyed my party. I'd love to be married by next year, but that would require some mutual consent with a single young lady. I think Hoosier's unnecessarily gloomy; there must be a picture of Chuck smiling somewhere...

Kirsti said...

I'll keep my fingers crossed for a suitable SYL on your behalf, though the idea of meeting, falling in love with, and marrying a lady in only one year seems just a little fast. How was the cake? I've been vaguely interested in making a 3L cake for a while, but thought it might be a bit too sweet...

Daniel said...

The cake was an out of the box deal. They're definitely sweet, but not excessively so. I would have liked frosting but the powers that be chose fruit and cool whip, which also work OK.

Kirsti said...

Fruit and cool whip over frosting?! Honestly -- what a wasted opportunity to have made it 4 Leches! (Dulce de leche cream cheese frosting, I'm looking at you!)

It was probably storebought cool whip. Sigh. I'd have at least made some whipped cream with caramel beaten in, but maybe that's just me.

...Hmm. I suddenly find myself craving caramel. I wonder why?