Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Mini Vacation #2: To buy three pastries or two?

Our second trip involved an impressive SEVEN of us going to Cedar City for one night to see two plays at the Utah Shakespeare Festival.

The car trip turned out to be considerably longer and duller than our Park City venture, but this time we were able to pull out all the stops, including books, Odysseys, Rubix cubes, string games, board games, and naps.

The festival was predictably amazing. We had tickets to two plays, "Pride and Prejudice" (in the indoor theater) and "The Merchant of Venice" (in the outdoor theatre ~note the spelling). Despite the occurrence of allergy problems (and an alarming attack of sleepiness during P&P - I can't imagine why!), I really enjoyed both plays. A few comments:

P&P: I loved Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy. Lady Catherine was a bit affected. Mr. Bingley was surprisingly short. Wickham and Mr. Collins were excellent. Unfortunately, I know the story so well that it was easy to lose focus.

Merchant: Fantastic play! I've read it before but didn't remember it being so funny! There are so many stories going on at once, and lots of really memorable characters too.

Dinner: Southwest salad at the Irish pub. I was hungry for the rest of the night (when will I learn not to order salads if I am actually hungry?), but was grateful for the excuse to buy two tarts (the conniving wench tried to sell me three, not telling me that "cheesecake" was a separate flavor of its own unconnected to the "raspberry" which she first mentioned) - raspberry and apple. I shared with Sarah and we agreed that the cost was worth the price (whatever that means).

A lovely view of Mama and Daddy's heads... oh, and the stage.

Daniel in the theater. Excuse me, theatre.
Most of us agreed that this picture doesn't look a thing like me. WHO IS THIS PERSON?
An artistic shot. Also known as the Giant Elbow.
Sarah...just had a "lightbulb" moment.

1 comment:

Kirsti said...

You're right, Ruthles; that picture just doesn't look like you. At all. Huh.