Monday, March 16, 2009

The Honeymoon is over...

Hello everyone! It’s me, and I’m still here, and... it’s been almost a week since my last post. Cringe...

Ok, so, basically, Iapologize. I have still been writing on my journal on Microsoft Word here, but it’s become quite difficult to post now that my computer has starting acting weird (it’s a long story, but basically, the “clicker” mouse button doesn’t work, a virus thing comes up every time the computer turns on, and it’s just kinda sluggish in general). I am still taking pictures and am full of ideas and experiences to write about, though. So it’s only a matter of time as to when these long-anticipated posts will, actually, like, y'know, post.

Speaking of...TIME! Where did the time go? Is it really March 16? Is it really only a month (approximately...) until I head back home to Utah? Since when did a winter semester suddenly become so short? Seriously, I think Daylight Savings must have been rigged this year or something. Of course, on the flip side, wasn’t Inauguration, like, FOREVER ago? As in, isn’t it about time for us to have elections again....? The honeymoon is over. And not just for Mr. Obama (although, for some of the folks here, I do believe that particular honeymoon will last longer than many marriages). This morning, Monday morning, I got a distinct impression that the “honeymoon” between me and the Washington Seminar—not between me and D.C., heavens no! I still have a ton to see and do (and hear and smell and taste and feel) here!—is over. I felt like a cross betwen a regular grumpy college student, and a mature businesswoman going to an all-day work job.

The day went rather quickly, and I am pleased to say that I was, for the most part, productive. I didn’t take the elevator once during the day, adding considerably to the number of minutes I was able to spend away from my desk in running errands and taking long detours in order to avoid certain people (yes, there is more to this story. No, you shall not learn of it here). I cleaned up my overflowing inbox from last Thursday to today, compiled the art news from the weekend, studied and made notes and a draft for my Gallery Talk presentation on Friday, and wrote up one of my PolSci papers that isn’t due for another two weeks. I have two more petty papers to finish this week, and then will have to get cracking on that research paper.

After work, I walked home in the chipper (but un-wet) weather. Yesterday, I took the Metro home from church and ended up getting off at Metro Center, about 30 min. away from the Barlow Center, when the Metro experienced delays for 16 min. or so. It was a very refreshing walk in the light rain coming home, but I did get pretty wet, and my Sunday shoes aren’t the best for taking long walks in. So today, the only day as far as I can remember doing so, I brought my umbrella to work! And...no rain. Nothing. Not a drop. I was looking at the sky on the way to work, but it was clear. Well, actually, there were a lot of birds flying around. And then I thought, “Aw....how pretty.” And then I saw that they were all flying so close together because they were chasing/attacking this one bird who had managed to get ahold of a large chunk of food. So much for my envy of the beauty and freedom of the birds! I may not have the best life in the world, but at least I don’t have to fight off twenty people to get my daily dose of oatmeal, banana, and yogurt in the morning!

So, after work, I walked straight home (sans Michael, who had somehow managed to get out of his office before 5 p.m. and race home before me...we were literally only a few minutes apart and never saw each other!) and then exercised downstairs. In a twist of fate and luck, the TV was working, and I got to watch some of “White Nights” (starring the impeccable Mikhail Baryishnikov as a Russian dancer!!!—cue the “squeal and swoon” here—whose plans to defect from the Soviet Union are thwarted, and then counter-thwarted, and then quasi-counter-thwarted, and then ditched and revamped and semi-executed) and “Mr. and Mrs. Smith” in Spanish. Action/adventure movies in Spanish are pretty awesome, actually. You can always tell what’s going on once you know who the good guys and who the bad guys are, and it’s especially nice that they always speak in short, clipped sentences like “Lista,” and “Ningún problema.” After exercising, I came upstairs and fixed myself some dinner—the last of the “Alfredo Sauce” pasta (sniffles!) and some grapes—and then went to FHE. The missionaries came and gave us a first discussion on the Restoration, and then gave us Books of Mormon (Book of Mormons...?) to give to someone before we leave. I already have a person in mind!

After that, we filled out March Madness brackets (I’m still thinkin’ on mine...) and ate brownies with ice cream.

And that’s was my Monday! How was yours? Tomorrow I figure will be about the same, although I will have to find some spare time to go shopping (out of bread...and salsa...and yogurt...and grapes) and maybe, possibly try to hit a museum or something. It’s really sad how many things I have left to see here in D.C. before my internship ends. Of course, I know I won’t be able to fit it all in. Just, um....99% of it? At least. Maybe I could pull an all-nighter my last day and....okay, never mind.

Coming as soon as I can post and write about them:

My adventures at the National Archives!
My adventures during our Gettysburg/Harper’s Ferry trip!
My adventures at the Supreme Court!
My adventures.....elsewhere!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Tell me; were the certain people you were trying to avoid unwanted admirers or just ornery secretaries?
My last art class is tonight and I will post pictures.
Is your computer better or simply in a better mood?
I can't wait to here about all your unwritten adventures. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Kirsti said...

Sheesh, Banansters -- even the computers can't tell The Twins apart.

As for the post, I recall liking "White Nights" myself quite a bit.

There are two sides to the debate on the proper method of pluralizing the Book of Mormon. Some misguided souls insist on "Books of Mormon." I, however, subsribe to the theory that, since we're dealing with a title, you should say "Book of Mormons." Of course, if there were more than one book of Mormon in the Book of Mormon (like, you know, 1 Mormon, 2 Mormon, and so forth), as is the case with the many books named after Nephi, I would concede there being books of Mormon in the Book of Mormon.

Does that make sense? Probably not. Happy St. Patty's day, anyway.

Hoosier said...

I would have said Books of Mormon every time, and with some smugness, but Kirstiloo has silenced me forever on the issue with her cogent argument. Here I am driving 3 hours per day on the good days and looking forward to getting the apartment key on Thursday. I nodded off several times during the medical group's 2 1/2-hour orientation for newcomers this morning, but so far have managed to stay awake during the drive. Thanks for the post!