Thursday, October 17, 2013

Re-viewed: Robin Hood

 
So I had fun doing this with Lady and the Tramp, and I'm still in the mood for Disney movies from my childhood, so here's my stream-of-consciousness Robin Hood report:

Is this the first Disney film to have male characters cross-dress as female characters? Seems edgier than I remembered. Also Robin Hood's disguised voices are REALLY good. As in I can't even believe it's the same actor doing all of his voices.

I related far more this time to Little John's having to hold up his heavy bosoms with his paws than I ever did as a kid. Ouch.

Skippy shoots an arrow really well for it being his first time.

That castle gate. Security cutbacks?

The charade where Skippy defeats and ultimately kills Lady Cluck as Prince John is a hugely seditious act that I would imagine should get all of them beheaded or thrown into jail at the very least.

Is Prince John actually dangerous or harmless? I really can't tell. They mock and fear him the way I imagine kids do their parents.

WHY OH WHY DO WE NEVER GET TO MEET PRINCE JOHN'S MOTHER?

All the animals in this movie have three fingers and a thumb. Does that seem weird to anyone else?

I'm still impressed with the Sheriff of Nottingham's shooting skills - hitting a moving target isn't that easy. But why didn't Nutsy just leap again for Robin Hood's shot?

Lady Cluck has the best lines. She is also the toughest female heroine of the film.

I just love Robin's proposal. Really, I'm pretty sure I had a crush on him when I was little. Also, I love the "Love" song. It is just beautiful.

So all that fighting and not a single casualty? They all just dance and party afterwards?

This was the first time I watched the film with subtitles and therefore the first time I actually deciphered what Little John said when he said, "Who's driving this flyin' umbrella?" Ha ha ha!

This is also maybe the first Disney movie to do legit gallows humor!

Why does Nutsy call one o'clock and all's well when the clock shows that it's three?

Cram-a-nit-ly is a great word to exclaim.

Two characters in the film say "doing my duty" and both times it made me snicker. I'm immature.

Trigger's helmet magically repairs itself! Also, this is the first time I really actually caught that he was named Trigger for his trigger finger.

Robin has no fewer than FOUR disguises and fake voices in this film. I'm impressed.

It takes approximately ten seconds for the Sheriff to set the entire tower on fire. And then Sir Hiss blames Prince John, which isn't really fair.

I'm pretty sure that every hat that Robin Hood wears gets an arrow through it at one point or another.

No comments: