Monday, September 9, 2013

Re-viewed: Lady and the Tramp

I have no idea why, but I've been on an old Disney movie kick lately. And I've been having a lot of surprising new discoveries in all my adult wisdom that never really impressed me as a child. Take for example, Lady and the Tramp:

1. That song at the beginning makes me cry. Am I crazy emotional or is it crazy beautiful?

2. Lady is an EXTREMELY well-trained puppy if all they need to do is put down newspaper in a doggy room to get her through her entire puppyhood.

3. Why is Lady sleeping downstairs when Jim Dear goes out to get watermelon in the middle of the night? Doesn't she occupy their bedroom now?

4. This movie may be decidedly prejudiced against cats, but even so you have to admit those Siamese cats are SMART. They outwit Lady and Aunt Sarah, know right away "what a baby is" and more importantly, what it means for them, and figure out how to get what they want. They probably could have taken out the rat if they wanted to. I am impressed.

5. The accents that Tramp does when visiting his various families are hysterical and delightful.

6. I'm 99% convinced that Tony is certifiably insane (not only talks to dogs, but sets up a candlelight dinner with expensive cuisine and music! THIS IS NOT NORMAL) and Joe plays along because he is terrified for his life.

7. That silently crying dog in the pound makes me feel the sorrow of a thousand tears.

8. Peg is an awesome and intriguing character. She always annoyed me as a kid for some reason, but I am 100% Team Peg as an adult. She keeps it real, guys.

9. How is it that Tramp can take on three dogs who are twice his size and emerge unscathed, but has a very difficult time thrashing a rat?

10. That. Rat. It is the freakin' hugest rat on the planet. What has it been feeding on, alley dogs? Did it escape from a genetic mutation lab?

11. Do they actually ever name that baby? Is it Junior? Star-sweeper? You'd think that would be more important.

12. I like that this is one of the few Disney movies to celebrate marriage and kids at an early age - it's rare that we get to see our Disney protagonists contemplating children and all that children entail (another favorite I recently saw was 101 Dalmations - Pongo and Perdy are the best parents!). The moment when Tramp offers Lady the world full of adventures and she turns him down because "who would take care of the baby?" is a really poignant and touching one from an adult perspective.

1 comment:

Diana said...

I love this. A lot. I have been watching a bunch of Disney movies lately too, all in the name of the little guy, but really it's for myself. I love them. There are so many small things you don't really notice or think about growing up. I love it!