Thursday, April 14, 2011

March 2011 Media Inventory

MOVIES

Intolerable Cruelty

I really enjoyed it the first time I saw it - thought it was funny, clever, and interesting. This time I couldn't believe how crass and distasteful it was. What a naughty movie for playing such a trick on me! Naughty, naughty movie. I still liked the funny/clever/interesting parts, but they were unfortunately overshadowed and spoiled for me by the bad/ugly/vulgar parts, and I don't think I'll be watching this again.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

I liked it, thought everybody was perfectly cast, the Weasley twins were funny, Cedric was cute, etc. For some reason, this book stands out from the others to me. It's like an odd sibling or something. I still like it, but it's... different.

Tangled

Had a lot of fun watching this one with Matthew in the dollar theater. I was prepared to tolerate the songs, but I actually really enjoyed them (unfortunately, the one I least enjoyed - "Mother Knows Best" - was the one that got stuck in my head. Oh well!). I found the humor and sweetness of this movie to be contagious.

A Little Princess

REMEMBER THIS?!?!??!? The SUPER OLD version with the freaky Indian story about a circle on the ground? That's all I remembered about it from my childhood days, so it was nice to revisit that memory and see that there was also a story of sorts (even though they did NOT follow the book).

A Little Princess

Of COURSE I had to see the one true version afterward. I LOVE this version. Everything just feels so quaint and classic and storybook-ish. And I don't care if Sara is "old." In fact, seeing this has convinced me that she really ought to be about 14 anyway.

Zombieland

It's probably the best funny weird modern zombie horror romantic apocalypse comedy I've seen. Warning - they swear. I mean, there are zombies, so that's kind of a given.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

I don't remember much about this movie, except that a) I liked it, and b) I was very happy and pleased with myself when I recognized that the actress who plays Dolores Umbridge also plays MRS. MICAWBER in David Copperfield! She's sooooo good.

The Swan Princess

I was just in "the mood." And then I found myself dramatically humming "Far longer than foooreeeeeverrrrrr..." all the next week.

The Kingdom of Heaven

Hadn't seen this in a while, but it was Sunday, and I like laughing at Sarah's hair, and there's a wedding in it, and weddings have been on my mind lately.

Eat Pray Love

Due to an obsession with Hulu and its related ads, I think I've seen the trailer for this movie more times than I've ever watched any movie or trailer. It was fun to recognize EVERY SINGLE CLIP from the trailer in the film. The story was, well, perplexing, and definitely awkward and a little fakey at times, but there was something sort of nice about it anyway. I was curious after hearing so much about it, and I think I satisfied that curiosity.

BOOKS

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Liked it. I admire the balance Rowling hits between "gotta include all the traditional class and school and Quidditch-type stuff so people feel grounded" and "gotta add new, interesting, freshly created magical world-is-in-danger stuff so people don't get bored."

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Oooof. The longest, heaviest, sharpiest-cornered pain of a book to carry around ever. I was SO happy when I remembered after a month of lugging this around that not all books are this big. It was good - a little slow at times, especially when Umbridge is on her 1000th effort to make the students dislike her and develop brooding feelings of resentment - but I felt like I had forgotten everything from the first chapters by the time I got to the last.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

I feel like I read this book the fastest of any in the series. Seriously, it was like under a week. I enjoyed it, especially the journeys into the villain's past (something I feel would be SO MUCH FUN with EVERY AWESOME VILLAIN EVER), and in spite of the fact that I knew the two main spoilers from the beginning. Mostly I enjoyed being able to carry it with just one hand.

How do y'all like the new features!?!?!?

No comments: