Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Half-way Through

This week has been a bit of a roller coaster so far.

Bad news first. This week so far: I got a parking ticket, I stayed up past midnight grading papers on Monday and Tuesday, I racked my brains during both my Civil War and Emerson class but was unable to come up with a single comment on Monday or Tuesday, I forgot about and didn't get the email reminding me about the quiz for my Western class (yeah, I'm just going to call it that from now on) on Tuesday, I made a mistake grading one student's paper and had to fix it to my great embarrasment, I lost a writing contest, and I still haven't found a good book to replace my last one (sorry, Dad - it's been too recent since I've read That Hideous Strength).

Not quite related to this week specifically, but to my feelings in general this week - I STILL haven't been able to come up with a good project for my Western class, I'm not happy with my Civil War paper proposal, I have a ton of grading and typing up and busy work to do in ALL my classes, and I don't get enough sleep or exercise to make me happy. It doesn't help my mood any that the last three weeks my film class has focused on very dark, violent themes of injustice, betrayal and murder - it can be very touching and insightful but is also pretty exhausting.

Lest you worry that I'm contemplating suicide at this point, I'll move right on with the good news.

The ticket was only $10, one of my professors cancelled class on Monday, I FINALLY made a friend in film class, the bus was on time pretty much all week, my Western professor let me take the quiz anyway and I got 100% on the objective part, I made lots of comments in Emerson class today and did all the reading for film class, I went to and thoroughly enjoyed the dance devotional on Tuesday, I found out about a neat lecture being given tomorrow by Terryl Givens, I finally finished An Experiment in Criticism, I decided I didn't care about the writing contest and am too busy to start reading a new book anyway, it's October and I like October, and we had spaghetti for dinner on Monday.

How's everyone else's week going?

4 comments:

Kirsti said...

Idunno, Ruth -- I still think I got you beat. Tuesday I had a pelvic exam, pap smear, and at least ten gallons of blood drawn, and today I have to take Edskers in to get some shots.

Unknown said...

I can't compete with you girls on all the things that create angst this week as My best news was that I nearly drowned in the rain Tuesday while playing golf. My clothes were soaking wet and I had a 1.5 hour drive home from Dickson. But a friend of mine used to say " self imposed problems don't get you any sympathy or excuse from family duties". So next time it starts to rain i will quit immediately and not remind myself that the FC was for cloudy only until evening.

Hoosier said...

Everything's been going pretty well up north, with the clinic running fairly smoothly and no recent blow-ups with patients (or, even worse, their mothers - with apologies to Kirsti). MA left the apartment this morning wearing quite a princess gown over her scrubs, and told me she intended to be a walking advertisement for her 'Legend of Sleepy Hollow' play which will be performed this weekend. Rather gutsy, I thought. I've obviously underestimated her again.

Daniel said...

I think you ought to check out Lonesome Dove. Our philosophy professor says it beats Plato and Kant, so it must be good.