Sunday, January 25, 2015

So long, 2014

This post title can be taken several ways. Firstly, it's been SO LONG since I've written. Sorry for the long dry spell. I have still been writing every week in my journal but for some reason couldn't muster up the interest in doing a blog post. I've probably driven away most of my readers, and that's okay. I'm of the opinion you should mainly write for yourself anyway, and that's what I'm doing more and more these days.

Secondly, 2014 was a loooong year and a turning point for me personally. A lot of things changed (and a lot stayed the same), including some major stuff in our lives that I've been looking forward to since getting married.

Thirdly, obviously, so long, farewell, auf wiedersehen adieu 2014. You were a good year to me. Lots of doubts and things up in the air became happy and secure realities. I'll fill you in on the highlights:

1. I graduated with my master's degree from BYU in June. Being done with school feels absolutely incredible. I still can't get over how much I love not having homework, not writing papers, and not stressing out 24/7. Not crying, stressing, or panicking every week about some school thing or another is pretty fantastic. So far I haven't missed school one iota. I'm still glad I went through the program and got my degree, but I went through seven straight semesters without a single break and was really feeling exhausted, ornery, and unhappy near the end. Writing my thesis was kind of a nightmarish experience. I'm relieved that it all turned out well, but at the moment I am just so thankful to be out of academia. The pressures, perfectionism, bureaucracy, and obfuscation I encountered daily were a constant source of stress, misery, and frustration that I desperately needed to cut out of my life. I feel much happier and in a good place now. Speaking of which...  

2. I was blessed almost immediately after graduation to get a job as an event publicist at the Orem Public Library. It's a part-time job with flexible hours working in a beautiful environment with awesome, creative, friendly people who love books and movies as much as I do. I get to host events, write press releases and manage the library's social media, write for the library blog (it's justbrowsingopl.wordpress.com, if you're interested), write the library newsletter, and mix up my routine with a bunch of different projects and programs that come our way. It's the first job I've had where I actually enjoy thinking about it during my free time. When I was little, I would have been overjoyed to spend all day at the library, and now I get to do that, and yes, it's just about as awesome as I expected. Also, I get to check out movies free of charge - DREAM COME TRUE.

3. Matthew graduated with his bachelor's degree in December. HUZZAH!!! He worked very hard to graduate this year and even took five semesters in a row without a break. Despite his exhaustion and overloading on classes and work hours, he got great grades (say that five times fast) and graduated Magna Cum Laude, same as me. When I met him and we became engaged, he was only a freshman at UVU and I was pretty nervous and tired at the thought of waiting for him to get all of his schooling before we could leave Provo, start a family, do big things, etc. But I'm so glad we've had this time together and been able to grow close and learn more about each other and work through the stresses of school together.

4. Matthew was accepted into Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions to get a degree in physical therapy! It's a three-year program that starts in May and is located in Provo, so we'll be sticking around for another three years. Although someday we'd like to move out of Utah, for now we're happy to be close to our families, to live in an affordable city, and that I can keep my awesome library job for a while.

And now here are some pictures from 2014!

Valentine's Day 2014


 Easter - we got very craftsy


We visited the newly opened Bean Museum


Sarah and I went to Nauvoo on a work/vacation trip


May 28, 2014 - our 3-year anniversary!


My oldest brother moved to Utah with his family in June, so we got a shot of all the siblings. I am still the shortest :(



July 2014 - we hiked Stewart Falls and both went under the waterfall for the first time!


Matthew went first and then told me, "Take off your socks." Wise words.


Sarah and Hannah spent the night with us on July 3 and we got to see the parade and fireworks together on the 4th!


I turned 26 on July 18th - my mom made me this GORGEOUS trifle.


In August we went up to the U and did a photoshoot with my sister



We planned to hike Timpanogos in August but failed, so we ended up doing it early in September. There were a LOT of students on the trail.



Halloween! I was lame and didn't dress up. Booooooo.


Thanksgiving 2014



My good friend Emily invited Matthew and me to a murder mystery dinner party in November. It was such a blast! I loved it. It was set in the 1920s in Chicago - I was supposed to be a reporter and Matthew was a high-rolling gambler. We worked really hard on our costumes (yes, that is a fake cigar made from tape and cardboard) and not so hard on our accents. Someday I'd love to throw one of these. Maybe when we actually get a dining room?


We attended Ancestry.com's fabulous Christmas party in the beginning of December. The food was absolutely amazing. I piled a ton on my plate and ate every single bite. The theme was the roaring 20s, so Matthew got to reuse his stylish vest from the murder mystery :)



Christmas morning 2014 - so happy to see the magic snowfall


Yep, I need a haircut.


Hopefully I get to write a little bit more in the blog in 2015. With Matthew starting graduate school, us planning to move from our apartment of four years in August, and finally a year without finals, I do feel like this will be a big year of change and happiness for us.  

No comments: