Tuesday, December 3, 2013

November 2013 Media Inventory

Only one more month to go! It's surprising how fast this year has gone by. And at the same time, the months and days seem to go pretty slowly. Here's what I watched and read in November:

Movies:

Sorry, Wrong Number: This movie was surprisingly dark for an old classic. I thought I knew where it was going, and then--whoa.

Anne of Avonlea: Loved it just as much as Anne of Green Gables. Anne. Miss Stacey, and Marilla are my role models.

The Orphanage: I saw this in October, but saw it again with Matthew in November because I liked it so much. We can't wait to play creepy Spanish games with our kids!

The Sound of Music: I was in the mood (you'll see why soon). It was so (remifasolatido) delightful. The songs are still going through my head.

The Waltons Thanksgiving (both of them): This month I got stuck on a Waltons binge-fest. I have been watching my favorite episodes from each season every night while I work on miscellaneous stuff. As of now I'm still interested and I'm in the seventh season. Our kids are definitely gonna be little Walton-ites if this keeps up.

Labyrinth: What the weird. This film reminded me of something I would come up with in a dream after eating too much one night - it would seem like a really cool and awesome idea while I was asleep and then I'd wonder what the heck I was thinking when I woke up. But it was so weird and wacky and awkward and tacky enough to just be sort of . . . cool? At any rate, I now have a good excuse for David Bowie to show up in future crazy dreams.

I am Sam: I really enjoyed this tender and poignant film about a mentally challenged father trying to raise and keep his daughter, not least because she has the beautiful name of Lucy.

Catch Me if You Can: I've seen this one before but it sure is a rollicking good time. Matthew also liked it.

The Intouchables: Matthew and I saw this at the International Cinema and it was SO good. Highly, highly, highly recommend.

Star Trek 2: Love, love, love this movie. And it makes three amazing movies in a row that I watched this month! I was on a roll.

The Magic of Belle Isle: Ehhh... didn't care super much for this one. In fact, I'm not entirely sure I saw the ending.

Something Wicked This Way Comes: Good film to match a good book. Made me miss October.

The Inn of the Sixth Happiness: I don't know why I was in the mood for this, but I was. I haven't seen it since I was an early teenager or thereabouts, so there was a lot of nostalgia in seeing and crying and laughing at the old familiar parts. It is wonderful how movies you watched as a child come to take on new meanings when you watch them as an adult.

Bernie: I watched this in January, so I guess it's my beginning and end of the year movie. Matthew saw it this time and we were both really interested in dead bodies at the time (I'm not going to elaborate unless you ask), so it seemed to fit. Surprisingly, my favorite part this time around was 100% the music.

Frankenweenie: A little weird, a little creepy, a little cute. Sounds about right. I don't think I'll see it again, though - the heart and soul of the whole thing was missing for me. The little dog was adorable, though.

Austenland: Ok, so here's the thing. I know it's pretty much a ridiculous premise and plot and the lack of characterization and background and depth is appalling, yada yada. But is it bad that I thoroughly enjoyed and was entertained by the entire thing from beginning to end? Could it have to do with the fact that I watched it in a theater filled with gasping, squealing, whispering girls? Yeah...

Frequency: Fantastic film. Still has the intensity and the emotional and spiritual punch from the first time when I watched it.

Miracle on 34th Street (the older version): Watched this on Thanksgiving with my family. This time I especially loved the conversation between Fred Gailey and Doris about what things are worth believing in. And yes I actually believe Edmund Gwenn is Santa.

Books:

The Tenant of Wildfell Hall: This is the first book I've read by Anne Bronte. I really loved Wuthering Heights and could not get through Jane Eyre (although I need to give it a second go-round now), and this one fell in the middle of those two for me. It was well written and engaging, but rather belabored and long-winded. And the protagonist got on my nerves.

I Am Not a Serial Killer: The best word I can come up for this one right now is enthralling. Really, seriously, enthralling. I was impressed.

Catch Me If You Can: This semi-autobiography was even more interesting, tricky, and unbelievable than the movie. There were some good insights as well and I thought the author did a good job of presenting his life without over-analyzing or moralizing it.

Theater:

The Sound of Music: I went on a whim to usher for this production of The Sound of Music, which turned out to be done with large puppets (and one human, strangely, to play the part of Mother Superior). I was too far away unfortunately to really appreciate the detail of the puppets, but what I saw was cute and creative. They did a lot of fun marionette tricks that got a lot of laughs. The music really is all you need to have an enjoyable time though.

The Nightingale: I thought I had missed this show when I forgot to sign up to usher for it at BYU, but then they did a free performance at the Provo library and I got a great seat. I sometimes don't care too much for the "children's" shows they put on, but this one was actually probably one of my most favorite. I loved how they incorporated dance, music, and Chinese into the story and the costumes were really beautiful as well.

No comments: