Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Washington Seminar, Revisited

Since starting my four-month internship with the Church Publications department of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Salt Lake City, I am having definite flashbacks to my internship with the National Museum of Women in the Arts in D.C. Sometimes this is not always pleasant.

For example,

a. I start falling asleep after lunch. Staying awake is a constant battle between the hours of 1 and 5 pm. Let alone getting work done. Definitely reminds me of some long cold days in D.C.

b. I am secluded in a poorly-lit area that is cold and on a different floor from all the other interns, who work on the magazines on the floor above me. It's not quite as bad as being the only person in sight for two hallways in D.C., but I wish I had some light. Or some music.

c. I have to wear a dress every day to work. I do not like this. Especially in the cold mornings when I'm slipping down the driveway in my shoes and the wind is freezing my legs through my skirt.

d. I dread doing the same thing day after day in the same place day after day. I even got tired of my five or so classes after a semester. At least I was always moving around and outside at college.

On the bright side...

a. I am surrounded by so many historic, beautiful buildings! I am definitely going to spend some more time visiting places up on Temple Square. Now I must remember to bring the camera from home.

b. Everyone is so NICE. Not that people weren't in D.C., but seriously, everyone is SO NICE. As far as a good work environment, I don't think you could get much better.

c. It doesn't smell like coffee. Although I kind of like that smell. Hmm. I must think more about this.

d. I'm getting paid again. More this time. A definite plus!

e. Riding Trax reminds me of riding the Metro. Only we have to wait outside and it's cold. But I think I am going to become a regular user. It's so nice to not have to worry about driving on the freeway every day.

f. It is SO nice to be done with school for a semester. When I go home, I can do whatever I want. Well, after I do my laundry, clean my room, go the gym, shower, and eat dinner. See? Whatever I want.

g. The interns will be getting together every Friday for a little educational outing (they call it "intern enlightenment"). It's like a mini-holiday!

h. Best of all, I get to come home every weekend to visit the family and Matt. That is a definite perk this semester has over the D.C. one. There's nothing like leaving your family for a little while to make you appreciate them. I love you guys! (P.S. Stay away from my stuff if you want to live)

1 comment:

Hikari said...

Ruth, after reading a few of these posts, I have decided that we are kindred writing spirits.